Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Gender Reveal Party: Tips (and Opinions) for How (or How Not) to Throw One


Gender Reveal Parties are getting more and more popular, 2013 is definitely going to be their "coming out" year (pun intended- duh). Before we go any further- for those people living under a rock, or out of the baby and toddler loop- a "Gender Reveal Party" is what new or seasoned parents host for friends and family when they've gotten the news about whether they're having a BOY or a GIRL. Usually they are finding out the sex of the baby at the party as well, which is half the fun! I realized not everyone knew what kind of party this was when a good friend's husband heard I was throwing a GRP and had an entirely different "reveal" in mind, please don't make me say it...

I remember a few years ago when I heard of a friend of a friend doing a Gender Reveal Party and I thought, "Are you kidding me? You think people care THAT much about the sex of your baby?!" Well, I was wrong.... people care. I am now one of those people. These parties are fun, fresh and give you a reason to get together with those you love to celebrate a new life. Now I'm like, "Why WOULDN'T you have a Gender Reveal?"

As some of you may know, I just threw a GRP for a good friend after she and her husband were surprised with a 3rd pregnancy. I thought this would be a fun way for them to welcome the idea of a third baby with their closest friends finding out with them.

Before I show off the pictures from that party, which was featured on Amy Atlas shortly after I threw it (uh, ya I'm gonna name drop!)...OF COURSE I am going to give a few opinions I have on current Gender Reveal Parties, so if you hate opinions, skip forward to the pictures...now.

#1. A few themes/ideas to get over: 
-The "What Will It BEEEE?" theme. Unless you have a crazy bee fetish or the baby's nursery is going to be buzzing with bees (figuratively, not literally I hope) OR you or your husband is a bee keeper (I'll totally give you this one), please find a new theme.

-The Mustache/Bow theme... in case you don't know how I feel about mustaches, I loathe them- especially in party planning. The ironic mustache is done, move on. I wrote about this here, and from this point on I refuse to ever say the word "mustache" again.

-Please don't even think about having HERsHEy Bars at the reveal. Even your great grandma is over this idea, she saw it pinned one too many times and told me to tell you, "NO!" Oh, she's dead? Well her spirit told me then.

-The box full of pink or blue balloons. It was a great idea. Key word: was. Lots of new ideas out there (everyone loves biting into a color, trust me).

-The question mark (?) is an obvious Gender Reveal graphic and while I'm not saying you can't use it anywhere (it definitely has its place at the end of a question), an entire theme around a "?" is just weird. And yes, I've seen it done. Also keep in mind that question marks tend to look like sperm if not used carefully... and while I know... oh never mind, I'll let you take it from here...



#2. Choose a fresh color palette/graphic. There are a ton of colors in the world- you don't need to use pink and blue, I promise. There actually doesn't need to be "designated" colors for each gender at all. A fun and unique gender neutral color palette is all you need... your options are endless and gray is always a great color to throw in the mix, this is the year of the gray!

I recently saw a black/white and gold Gender Reveal done by IDEA! event + style based on the couple's love of the New Orleans Saints. And it was perfect! I love that they rolled their favorite sports team into it- now we're talking! For my recent GRP- I chose to use silhouettes, but instead of just using standard ones, I also used silhouettes on bicycles and then threw some different bicycle graphics and an actual bicycle decoration in the mix and a "theme" was born!


#3. Have something to entertain your guests. You've invited people over and because there's a good amount of work put into these parties, you don't want your guests to walk in, watch you cut a cake/pop a balloon and leave. So give them a few options for fun:

- Provide sweets, everyone loves to raid a good dessert bar.
- Have at least one "game."

For this GR, the couple wanted to ask their friends' opinions on their name choices for a boy and a girl. People loved this idea and it made them feel important that their opinion on the baby's name mattered. Now if you are like me and would never want anyone giving you name opinions- you can always have people "suggest names"... and then make fun of all the ones you'd never use...

Idea by Paging Super Mom!
#4. Vote on the gender. A must. There are a few ways to vote on the gender of the baby: public tally (think chalkboard), private tally (ballot style) or wear your vote- pin/sticker/colored clothespin, etc. Whichever you choose- this should be a BIG piece of the party. It is always fun to get a picture of each group either before or after the reveal, depending on when everyone says how they voted. Essentially there is a winner and a loser group and hopefully the losers do it with grace...

Cute chalkboard idea by Paging Super Mom!- see entire party here!

#5. How will you reveal? So many options. We chose the simple colored cake for the couple to cut into. I've seen colored cake pops and cupcakes too. Just be sure the entire outside of the "reveal dessert" is neutral because the surprise inside is the fun part and shouldn't be given away until the proper "Everyone bite NOW!" time. Aside from desserts, I've also seen people have a friend buy them a cute outfit based on what the ultrasound says. Just make sure the outfit screams BOY or GIRL. No denim rompers if you get my drift...

Another popular idea is to pop a confetti-filled 36" balloon and let it rain down blue or pink colored confetti. This actually sounds amazing, I would love to dance in confetti falling from the sky. Just make sure the balloon is a matte color so you can't see through it- again, remember the surprise factor!

Shop thegenderreveal.com for balloons

And now on to the photos from the Gender Reveal Party I threw March 2013 for my good friends, the Klosek Family... enjoy!

TO PURCHASE THE "PARTY-IN-A-BOX" COMPLETE SET OF THIS GENDER REVEAL PARTY, find it listed in my Etsy shop >>>here<<<
                                                                   
   xo  Party or Die xo
   kenna

















(Wrong!)





                                                           Excited to add ANOTHER little girl!

Vendor Credits:

Purchase a "Party-in-a-Box" of this Gender Reveal! MissPartyMom on Etsy
Styling by: Miss Party Mom
Photography by: Jen McGinn
Printables by: World Wide Party by Elena
Cookies and Desserts: Hannah's Cookie's and Treats
Girl's Chevron Dresses: NorahZariah
"Dream Big Little One" Print: Target

37 comments:

  1. So, the sperm cookies with X's and Y's I made for our gender reveal party would be inappropriate?? In my defense, it was a gender reveal party for 2 Ob/Gyns...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OBGYN's pretty much have free reign to do anything they want at a Gender Reveal, esp if you are my friend and make cute Y's and I'm sure X's...

      Delete
  2. Stacy, I think that is awesome, personally!
    And Kenna, I am definately having this party for my next baby! No more crying tears of joy alone in a small room with the ultrasound tech

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber... don't tempt me now... could you REALLY stand to wait??

      Delete
  3. Please do my 50th birthday party in 3 (and a half) years! Or a GRP if something really crazy but amazing happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Count me in! misspartymom.com, don't you forget it!

      Delete
  4. I was searching for some fresh inspiration for our upcoming GR and loved everything you shared here! Feeling super inspired about doing it our way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just curious, having never been to a gender reveal, do people bring generic gifts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think people generally bring gifts.

      Delete
    2. we are having GR as apposed to a baby shower so we are having a cash raffle put some cash in a box and take a ticket for your guess we have a prize of wine and chocolate for the "winner" this way we can decorate and buy stuff gender relevant

      Delete
    3. At this specific party (my only reveal thus far) about 1/4 of the guests brought a gender neutral present. :)

      Delete
  6. Love the idea of silhouettes! My grandmother acutally has prints of all of her children and grandchildren's silhouettes. I remember having mine done when I was a child. It would be so precious to scan and use those when it comes time for my own gender reveal party. I also love the idea of popping a balloon filled with confetti. It will make for a great picture too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family silhouettes- what a great idea- a sweet way to add an even more personal touch to the party!

      Delete
  7. Funny how you list all the things that are 'out' but the kids are wearing chevron prints...that's a litttttle too 2012 for my likes. Otherwise, everything was great (read: tacky)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anonymous! Why so anonymous?! Usually jerks love their good amount of attention! I was going to delete this and then realized I'd rather respond. Did you want me to tell the girls chevron was "out" so they shouldn't wear their dresses? Go find another blog because MPM doesn't like you- actually I rather loathe you.

      Delete
    2. People can be so ridiculous.

      Delete
    3. Why do people feel the need to say something when it doesn't add to a conversation? Oh look the sky is blue.....

      PS. Chevron is still totally in and those girls looked adorable!

      Delete
  8. this was just absolutely beautiful! I really like the balloon idea. You are so talented! I thought the girls looked darling in those dresses. I feel the same about every annoyance you have! lol (except I liked the hershey's bars...today was my first time seeing them! ;) But I guess I will skip them)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The girls did look so cute! Their baby sister is a week old now!

      Delete
  9. So cute!! Thank you for the awesome ideas. I'm also pregnant with #3 and do not want a shower. But a GRP sounds awesome. How do I politely ask guests to not bring a present? We have kept everything from the first two pregnancies and do not need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable and I completely agree with your Do's and Don'ts. Can you tell me how you made the cupcake and cake tags that stick up? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So in April, my husband and I had our wedding reception here and we both have no regrets with choosing this venue. This place is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love your ideas but where we live,I have just started to here about people having these kind of parties. So all the ideas are fresh and cute to me. Actually planning one now, using a lot of your DON'TS. Guess we are just out of the loop when it comes to the politically correct GRP society. But we usually just go with what we like and don't try to keep up with the Jones's. Why does everything have to be dated, and who gets to decide all of this. Do's and Don't of things should be left to ,when tried and tested works well and what doesn't, Not just to opinions of what one likes or not. One's opinion is not any better than anyone else's. We all have them. Some like antique's,some like only the new, but both are valuable to the beholder. Can't we just enjoy the party! I respect your opinion as I hope you will mine. Maybe these ideas are like any other fashion ( Comes back around every ten years or so). Keep up the good work. God Bless P.S. The Girls were beautiful, that's one we can all agree on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blog post! I don’t understand how long it will require me to obtain through all of them!
    www.instastylephotobooth.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is good collection of the articles with informative stuff. ifyoudareboudoir.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!! derbykids entertainer

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm I just shared this post with others because the quality of write-up is amazing. digital backdrops

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so special blog for me; I’ve bookmarked this whenever it will my heart good to learn more new things I can come back…
    car repair Chino Hills

    ReplyDelete
  19. You think people care THAT much about the sex of your baby?!" Well, I was wrong.... people care Buy High PR Backlinks

    ReplyDelete
  20. If somebody wants expert take on the main topic of blogging next I advise him/her to go to this site, continue the fussy job. celebrations

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, since you're so good with gender reveal parties I had a question or two. One how could my family throw me one because mine is going to be a gender reveal/ baby shower so everyone except me will know the gender but I still want it to have me guessing so what could they do? And two, I like the idea of the Saints theme but I'm not a Saints fan, my husband is so my question is being that I'm a Cowboys fan and he's a Saints fan how2 does silver and gold for a girl and black and gold for a boy sound? It sounds cool in my head but I'm not good with creativity. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. Castle Weddings Yorkshire

    ReplyDelete
  23. This article on planning a surprise bucks parties focuses on 12 tips you should consider to ensure that the party planning runs smoothly. You'll find out how to have fun with the planning and alleviate the stress of keeping a 'surprise'.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As a party host you bux party to insure that you and your guests have a fun and memorable time. Start with solid party planning information and you start strong.

    ReplyDelete

" "