Friday, September 12, 2014

The Summer I Decided to be an Awesome Mom

I honestly can't even remember how I ever had time to run a blog. My days right now are jam packed every. single. day. The "blogging time" I used to keep in my life just isn't there anymore... And in a one way it's so freeing. If I'm honest I actually never had time to sit and blog. I've always been busy- I was born busy. I'm an closet overcommitter in the worst way possible.

But I used to MAKE time for the blog- literally shoving it in to my day, where it did not fit. Blogging at the most inopportune times because I had to- I was committed to being a "blogger". Most times I would I sit and write in the mornings while the kids were up and needing my attention (a great way to start the morning!). I'd have a subject I needed to get out that I was too tired to finish the night before and so I'd ignore the kids and spit out the blog. I'd turn in to "mean blogging mom" for about 2 hours, trying my best to edit it (with my non-literature background) and spending copious amounts of time uploading all my supporting photos. On most occasions shoving blogging in to a day turned me in to somewhat of a Hulk like figure where if anything got in my way or line of consciousness I'd likely loose my mind.

I've mentioned on here many times that prior to having kids, I was never the type of woman who dreamed about her future children. I didn't have names picked out or outfits saved in a hope chest. Prior to getting married I wasn't even sure if I wanted kids because I had such a strong desire for being a successful career woman and doing things.... like blogging. And blogging well. Often times today, I want nothing more than to just sit and blog. Or create something without distraction. But that is not my lot in life right now. My lot in life, by my own doing- is to stay home with the kids with a loose goal of trying to raise a couple of decent humans. As much as I love to work (seriously, I am a classic work-a-holic) and plan parties (the ultimate work)... I'm finally owning the fact that I desire more to be in control of how my kids are raised. (I am also a classic control freak.)

I decided this summer that while the kids were going to be home with me, I wasn't going to be my infamous "mean blogging mom" self who didn't have time for books or legos while I was writing. Instead I made a conscious decision to try and be my most present version of mom yet. I was going to try and embrace new things that most moms loved and have somehow skipped over me. (I blame my childhood or something.)

All in all I must say, summer '14 was pretty amazing. I was pretty amazing. As a mom. I was actually a pretty amazing mom this summer. Such a crazy statement because in all honesty motherhood does not come naturally to me. I am the last one to ever call myself amazing in the mom category. You have never heard me gush about motherhood or breastfeeding or all of the crap that usually makes me want to run far, far away from a mom group (or unfollow an IGer).


But this summer- this summer I kind of killed it. Sure, there were a few rough days while Shawn took two week long trips- but for the most part we had a great two and a half months full of beach days (I hate the beach), exploring new parks (hated slightly less that the beach), a million trips to the zoo (I now know the animals by name... I hate animals), swimming at the YMCA (I hate swimming and pretty much water in general) and so many trips to Yogurtland the employees would talk to us like we were old friends... (I love Yogurtland). Oh- and aside from that one trip to the Y where the water was actually below zero and I was terribly cranky about it- I don't think the kids would ever guess that I didn't love the beach, pool, parks and zoo. What I'm trying to say is that I harnessed the ability to focus on them instead of the sand all over my car, my ruined curly wet hair, and those park kids I have no control of who bring weapons to fight with (Hey- little shit! Put away the sword and try the monkey bars, eh?)




As of this week, both kids are back in school. Although I was so ready for Cormac to be in Kindergarten full time- like truly very ready -without an ounce of hesitation in sending him, I still spent half of his first day looking at old pics of him and making Instagram photo collages of him on his #firstdayofschool. Which made me feel universally connected to moms everywhere... A complete and total rarity.



With the kids both back in school and a whopping 12 hours a week to myself without anyone asking me for juice (and only one child a chunk of the rest of the time) I've realized once again that I live a busy life and there's just no two ways about it. I like to act like we're free to hang out anytime because I love coming across all mellow like that. But with networking for MPM, coaching Cormac's AYSO team, volunteer work for his school... I'm coming to the realization that- as I once read on an Instagram bio: "Wife. Mom. Blogger. Addicted to Busy." YES. I AM ADDICTED TO BUSY. If I had the mellow life I'm so desperate to convince you we lead... I'm pretty sure I'd be bored to tears. I love busy. I love projects. I love having full, productive days.

Which is all the more reason I'm happy that this summer I used my powers for good and was addicted-to-busy with the kids. Because I could have pumped out blogs, sewing projects and styled shoots. The work-a-holic in me would have loved that.

But I didn't- and I'm proud of myself for that. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks!

xo Party or Die xo
kenna

(And our foreign exchange student Mo came to visit, so that was awesome.)



9 comments:

  1. I love reading this so much! I can totally relate to being addicted to busy and I now I hope I can do the same next summer! Thank you for writing this and being so honest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, what a sweet comment! I'm glad I'm not the only overly busy momma out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may not be your dream life, but Cormac and Birdie are definitely living the dream. One day, maybe in 10 or 20 years, they will read this blog and truly appreciate you for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind... I hope they think that! Let's pray the internet doesn't explode before they can read it. ;)

      Delete
    2. I also have a concern that all the "proof" that I gave a crap will be lost when the internet explodes. But honestly, who's got time for actual scrapbooking with real life paper?!
      Fingers crossed.....
      Loved this post :) I did the same thing this summer and it was great for us all.

      Delete
  4. loved this blog and have loved watching you embrace mommy hood this past summer! It was obvious you were enjoying your kids and your life! And I love knowing that we share many of the same "dislikes" when it comes to what we do with our free time and our kids! You mean strolling through H&M for 3 hours ISN'T their idea of a great afternoon? What if I promise to get you frozen yogurt after? love you fellow mommy-preneur!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy!!! How do you know Kenna?? She's a momma at Caroline's preshool...SMALL WORLD!!!

      Delete
    2. Every event planning company Orange County effort has its own roll in addition to thus you can really grow the company picnic planning company specialized as they are pretty enthusiastic and accommodating in effecting the task with such bearing invention and pitch in corporate event planning short time. This is all conferred in the upstairs piece portion you to interchange wild in the holiday party planner direction. This is consequently imperative to contemplate for evolution.

      Delete
  5. I just love all your posts and all your fun ideas that you share here. I am planning for a holiday party and I was wondering if you can share some planning tips and ideas for me. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete

" "